Friday 8 November 2013

Lemon Balm

Lemon balm has to be one of my favorite herbs, I have just recently potted some up for some friends.

It is a member of the mint family and is very easy to grow.

It is a very beneficial herb having anti bacterial and anti viral and soothing properties.

It is believed to sharpen memory ,it is calming and uplifting, it has sedative and mood elevating properties

Crushed leaves can be rubbed on the skin to help repel insects.

Chew it to freshen breath

Make infused oil add enough olive oil to cover leaves, leave in a sunny warm place for several weeks then strain.

Salve
Using the infused oil and beeswax {1 part beeswax 2 parts oil  ] warm the oil and beeswax, stir melt and combine.
Use on insect bites, wounds and cuts.

Make tea from the leaves its very relaxing

I love that lemon balm is attractive to bees

I also use lemon balm in my chicken pen to repel flies
There are probably many more uses but these are just a few of the ways I use it which makes it one of my favorite herbs.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that. I am growing a lovely bunch and had no idea what to do with it other than tea (which i dont really drink having a very bad coffee habit). Should i pot some up to put in the pergola area during summer as fly repellant? Im going to try that oil infusing tomorrow. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im in process of putting a pot in my pergola Lynda so give it a go x

      Delete
  2. I have never used lemon balm as a herb Sharon but its a lovely plant that I like to grow in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...